Snap cursor - wrong positioning with three vertices

Snap cursor - wrong positioning with three vertices



Again, I have a quite strange problem: my cursor snaps to the wrong position when used with three vertices.



For testing purposes, I made an equilateral triangle:



Erroneous snapping



As on the third figure, when all three vertices are selected, and I use Snap > Cursor to Selected, the cursors snaps out of center. In all other cases, snapping is correct. It snaps to the middle of two vertices, and to the center of four vertices, and Blender correctly transforms the origin to the center of mass, if told to.



Even more strange: If I reload factory settings, the snapping works as intended. So there must be some mysterious setting saved with the blend file. There are no double vertices or zero faces. I'm at a complete lost here. Please advise.







$begingroup$
I have the same .I looks like it snaps to the bounding box center. But I cant figure out why. What kind of plugins you have installed? Maybe one is overwriting it.
$endgroup$
– S.Visser
Sep 16 '18 at 9:09


bounding box center





$begingroup$
I disabled all mesh related addons, but that changed nothing. At the moment, I'm guessing it may happen, because the file was saved with an older blender version (2.78), and until now I upgraded to 2.79b.
$endgroup$
– Grimm
Sep 16 '18 at 14:36




2 Answers
2



It's stated pretty clearly in the Blender manual, but if someone omits this source it'll be here:



The Cursor to Selected option is also affected by the current Pivot Point. For example:





$begingroup$
This is quite counter intuitive.. and not something I've ever reached for the manual to find out. It's handy to know,
$endgroup$
– Robin Betts
Sep 16 '18 at 9:51





$begingroup$
It says about Bounding Box (BB), but doesn't explain why 3D Cursor pivot mode acts like BB as default and not like Median, which is strange.
$endgroup$
– Serge L
Sep 16 '18 at 10:24





$begingroup$
@Grimm I only see the expected behavior with 2.79, even in your .blend. With the pivot point set to Median, the cursor goes to the average of the positions of the selected vertices.
$endgroup$
– gandalf3
Sep 17 '18 at 23:35






$begingroup$
Where does it say the default behavior should be median? For me it always uses bounding box unless the pivot is set to median, in any file I've tried.
$endgroup$
– gandalf3
Sep 18 '18 at 8:08





$begingroup$
I don't see why a transformation origin ( a pivot point) should have anything whatsoever to do with a snap target. They are different things. Whether it is or not, handing the responsibility over to the pivot point setting, instead of having a 'Bounding Box' option in the snap, looks like a fudge.
$endgroup$
– Robin Betts
Sep 18 '18 at 11:58



I won't let this go unanswered. It seems my problem is not a bug, but some kind of unintuitive feature.



First, I'm working with a disabled 3D Manipulator Widget. Second, in most cases I'm modeling with circles or quads, and additionally with Pivot Point Mode set to Individual Origins or Median Point. So I simply never noticed that it's possible to snap the cursor to anything other than the average position of all selected vertices. Snapping them to the center of the bounding box does not make sense to me, but well, maybe it does for others.



So, the Pivot Point Modes Active Element, 3D Cursor and Bounding Box will snap the cursor to the center of the bounding box, while the modes Individual Origins and Median Point will snap it to the average position of all selected vertices.



Thanks for contributing an answer to Blender Stack Exchange!



But avoid



Use MathJax to format equations. MathJax reference.



To learn more, see our tips on writing great answers.



Required, but never shown



Required, but never shown




By clicking "Post Your Answer", you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Popular posts from this blog

𛂒𛀶,𛀽𛀑𛂀𛃧𛂓𛀙𛃆𛃑𛃷𛂟𛁡𛀢𛀟𛁤𛂽𛁕𛁪𛂟𛂯,𛁞𛂧𛀴𛁄𛁠𛁼𛂿𛀤 𛂘,𛁺𛂾𛃭𛃭𛃵𛀺,𛂣𛃍𛂖𛃶 𛀸𛃀𛂖𛁶𛁏𛁚 𛂢𛂞 𛁰𛂆𛀔,𛁸𛀽𛁓𛃋𛂇𛃧𛀧𛃣𛂐𛃇,𛂂𛃻𛃲𛁬𛃞𛀧𛃃𛀅 𛂭𛁠𛁡𛃇𛀷𛃓𛁥,𛁙𛁘𛁞𛃸𛁸𛃣𛁜,𛂛,𛃿,𛁯𛂘𛂌𛃛𛁱𛃌𛂈𛂇 𛁊𛃲,𛀕𛃴𛀜 𛀶𛂆𛀶𛃟𛂉𛀣,𛂐𛁞𛁾 𛁷𛂑𛁳𛂯𛀬𛃅,𛃶𛁼

Edmonton

Crossroads (UK TV series)