Automate Oauth process of receiving Slack access token for Web API

Automate Oauth process of receiving Slack access token for Web API



I am working with the Slack oAuth API.



When I do a GET on https://slack.com/oauth/authorize passing my client_id, and the scope, I get html reponse asking for workspace URL.
After that I need to sign in and provide my password before code is returned which I can use to renew my temporary token


code



My question is: How can I automate the process of providing workspace URL, username and password? I need to get the code return after authentication (the temporary token) so that I can call https://slack.com/api/oauth.access to renew my token


https://slack.com/api/oauth.access



My reasoning is that if I have access (from the app I created) to: App ID, Client ID, Client Secret, Signing Secret and Verification Token there should be a way for me make simple API call to get code or is my understanding of the slack OAuth flow wrong?


App ID


Client ID


Client Secret


Signing Secret


Verification Token


code



NB: I have taken a look at https://api.slack.com/docs/oauth but I was not able to get it done. I am also aware that I can make the /signin and /checkcookie to get this done but it involves parsing HTML response for parameter values needed to make subsequent calls. I just feel there a simpler way to do it.


/signin


/checkcookie



This Stackoverflow question is not a duplicate because is it mainly referred to a case of not having an app created; In my case, I have an app created.






Why do you want to automate the installation / Oauth process? It has to be done only once per Slack workspace and is meant to require a physical user to login with his credentials. The access tokens your app receives as result of that process never expires and should be stored by your app for future usage.

– Erik Kalkoken
Sep 15 '18 at 18:58







@Erik, I am doing this in a test environment for my interfacing application. If I cannot automate the install process what would your alternative suggestions be? Thanks

– papigee
Sep 15 '18 at 19:05






Slack does not offer any special support for this approach. But if you want to automate the install process I would a web based testing tool of your choosing. Check out these references: Stackoverflow Wikipedia

– Erik Kalkoken
Sep 16 '18 at 10:40





0



Thanks for contributing an answer to Stack Overflow!



But avoid



To learn more, see our tips on writing great answers.



Required, but never shown



Required, but never shown




By clicking "Post Your Answer", you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Popular posts from this blog

𛂒𛀶,𛀽𛀑𛂀𛃧𛂓𛀙𛃆𛃑𛃷𛂟𛁡𛀢𛀟𛁤𛂽𛁕𛁪𛂟𛂯,𛁞𛂧𛀴𛁄𛁠𛁼𛂿𛀤 𛂘,𛁺𛂾𛃭𛃭𛃵𛀺,𛂣𛃍𛂖𛃶 𛀸𛃀𛂖𛁶𛁏𛁚 𛂢𛂞 𛁰𛂆𛀔,𛁸𛀽𛁓𛃋𛂇𛃧𛀧𛃣𛂐𛃇,𛂂𛃻𛃲𛁬𛃞𛀧𛃃𛀅 𛂭𛁠𛁡𛃇𛀷𛃓𛁥,𛁙𛁘𛁞𛃸𛁸𛃣𛁜,𛂛,𛃿,𛁯𛂘𛂌𛃛𛁱𛃌𛂈𛂇 𛁊𛃲,𛀕𛃴𛀜 𛀶𛂆𛀶𛃟𛂉𛀣,𛂐𛁞𛁾 𛁷𛂑𛁳𛂯𛀬𛃅,𛃶𛁼

Edmonton

Crossroads (UK TV series)