Migrating (or using) old VHD on a Classic Storage Account to be used with new (non-Classic) VM

Migrating (or using) old VHD on a Classic Storage Account to be used with new (non-Classic) VM



I find the storage options confusing so far. It seems like I can have a disk as a VHD (stored as a "Page Blob") on a Storage Account (Classic or New) or I can create a "Disk" directly. I'm not sure what the benefits of each option are.



My problem is that I had an old Classic VM that had a data disk stored as a VHD (page blob) on a Classic Storage Account. I created a new VM now (not classic) and I want to attach that same VHD, but I don't see any way to do so. If I click create new data "Disk" then I have an option to copy a snapshot but I cannot see any snapshots from my old Classic Storage Account, I am able to see snapshots from my new Storage Accounts though, so I thought I need to migrate.



I found this answer on SO which suggests that it's possible to migrate using Powershell, by following instructions on this page.



Based on those instructions, I executed the following commands:


Connect-AzureRmAccount
Select-AzureRmSubscription –SubscriptionName "Visual Studio Premium with MSDN"
Register-AzureRmResourceProvider -ProviderNamespace Microsoft.ClassicInfrastructureMigrate // wait 5 minutes till it registers
Add-AzureAccount
Select-AzureSubscription –SubscriptionName "Visual Studio Premium with MSDN"
$storageAccountName = "<Name of Classic Storage Account>"
Move-AzureStorageAccount -Validate -StorageAccountName $storageAccountName // validation passes
Move-AzureStorageAccount -Prepare -StorageAccountName $storageAccountName // throws an an exception:

Move-AzureStorageAccount : InternalError : The server encountered an internal error. Please retry the request.
At line:1 char:5
+ Move-AzureStorageAccount -Prepare -StorageAccountName $storageAcc ...
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : CloseError: (:) [Move-AzureStorageAccount], ComputeCloudException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : Microsoft.WindowsAzure.Commands.ServiceManagement.StorageServices.MoveStorageAccountComm
and



So, how should I proceed? My goal is to get my old VHD with my data working with the new VM. Ideally, I'd like to migrate it to the new model (whichever it is).






As per here Migration would fail on the Prepare mode if your configuration would contain any feature which is unsupported for migration

– Jayendran
Sep 9 '18 at 2:32






I don't see where it says that Classic Storage Account is unsupported.

– SpaceMonkey
Sep 9 '18 at 20:03




0



Thanks for contributing an answer to Stack Overflow!



But avoid



To learn more, see our tips on writing great answers.



Required, but never shown



Required, but never shown




By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Popular posts from this blog

𛂒𛀶,𛀽𛀑𛂀𛃧𛂓𛀙𛃆𛃑𛃷𛂟𛁡𛀢𛀟𛁤𛂽𛁕𛁪𛂟𛂯,𛁞𛂧𛀴𛁄𛁠𛁼𛂿𛀤 𛂘,𛁺𛂾𛃭𛃭𛃵𛀺,𛂣𛃍𛂖𛃶 𛀸𛃀𛂖𛁶𛁏𛁚 𛂢𛂞 𛁰𛂆𛀔,𛁸𛀽𛁓𛃋𛂇𛃧𛀧𛃣𛂐𛃇,𛂂𛃻𛃲𛁬𛃞𛀧𛃃𛀅 𛂭𛁠𛁡𛃇𛀷𛃓𛁥,𛁙𛁘𛁞𛃸𛁸𛃣𛁜,𛂛,𛃿,𛁯𛂘𛂌𛃛𛁱𛃌𛂈𛂇 𛁊𛃲,𛀕𛃴𛀜 𛀶𛂆𛀶𛃟𛂉𛀣,𛂐𛁞𛁾 𛁷𛂑𛁳𛂯𛀬𛃅,𛃶𛁼

Edmonton

Crossroads (UK TV series)