Can an EU family member enter the UK using an EU residence permit?










3















I am a Sri Lankan national and passport holder, and an EU residence permit holder, married to an EU national.



I would like to go to the UK for a short visit. Do I also need a visa to enter the UK?



Although I've looked, I haven't found a definitive answer.










share|improve this question




























    3















    I am a Sri Lankan national and passport holder, and an EU residence permit holder, married to an EU national.



    I would like to go to the UK for a short visit. Do I also need a visa to enter the UK?



    Although I've looked, I haven't found a definitive answer.










    share|improve this question


























      3












      3








      3








      I am a Sri Lankan national and passport holder, and an EU residence permit holder, married to an EU national.



      I would like to go to the UK for a short visit. Do I also need a visa to enter the UK?



      Although I've looked, I haven't found a definitive answer.










      share|improve this question
















      I am a Sri Lankan national and passport holder, and an EU residence permit holder, married to an EU national.



      I would like to go to the UK for a short visit. Do I also need a visa to enter the UK?



      Although I've looked, I haven't found a definitive answer.







      visas uk






      share|improve this question















      share|improve this question













      share|improve this question




      share|improve this question








      edited Nov 17 '16 at 22:34









      Gayot Fow

      75.4k21199380




      75.4k21199380










      asked Nov 17 '16 at 22:05









      N TviragieneN Tviragiene

      161




      161




















          1 Answer
          1






          active

          oldest

          votes


















          3














          As per Timatic, the database used by Airlines:




          Visa required, except for Passengers with a "Family Member"
          Residence Card marked "Permanent Residence Card of a Family
          Member of a Union Citizen or Residence Card of a Family Member of a Union Citizen issued by another EEA member state to family members of an EEA national or national of Switzerland if traveling with or traveling to join the EEA national or national of Switzerland.




          Meaning: if you have a residence card documenting you as being a family member of an EU national (not the same Thing as an ordinary residence permit), and are travelling with your spouse, or to join him/her, then you do not need a visa



          If you are travelling alone and not to meet your spouse, or you do not have a residence card for family members of an EEA citizen, you will Need a visa






          share|improve this answer






















            Your Answer








            StackExchange.ready(function()
            var channelOptions =
            tags: "".split(" "),
            id: "273"
            ;
            initTagRenderer("".split(" "), "".split(" "), channelOptions);

            StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function()
            // Have to fire editor after snippets, if snippets enabled
            if (StackExchange.settings.snippets.snippetsEnabled)
            StackExchange.using("snippets", function()
            createEditor();
            );

            else
            createEditor();

            );

            function createEditor()
            StackExchange.prepareEditor(
            heartbeatType: 'answer',
            autoActivateHeartbeat: false,
            convertImagesToLinks: false,
            noModals: true,
            showLowRepImageUploadWarning: true,
            reputationToPostImages: null,
            bindNavPrevention: true,
            postfix: "",
            imageUploader:
            brandingHtml: "Powered by u003ca class="icon-imgur-white" href="https://imgur.com/"u003eu003c/au003e",
            contentPolicyHtml: "User contributions licensed under u003ca href="https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/"u003ecc by-sa 3.0 with attribution requiredu003c/au003e u003ca href="https://stackoverflow.com/legal/content-policy"u003e(content policy)u003c/au003e",
            allowUrls: true
            ,
            noCode: true, onDemand: true,
            discardSelector: ".discard-answer"
            ,immediatelyShowMarkdownHelp:true
            );



            );













            draft saved

            draft discarded


















            StackExchange.ready(
            function ()
            StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2ftravel.stackexchange.com%2fquestions%2f82813%2fcan-an-eu-family-member-enter-the-uk-using-an-eu-residence-permit%23new-answer', 'question_page');

            );

            Post as a guest















            Required, but never shown

























            1 Answer
            1






            active

            oldest

            votes








            1 Answer
            1






            active

            oldest

            votes









            active

            oldest

            votes






            active

            oldest

            votes









            3














            As per Timatic, the database used by Airlines:




            Visa required, except for Passengers with a "Family Member"
            Residence Card marked "Permanent Residence Card of a Family
            Member of a Union Citizen or Residence Card of a Family Member of a Union Citizen issued by another EEA member state to family members of an EEA national or national of Switzerland if traveling with or traveling to join the EEA national or national of Switzerland.




            Meaning: if you have a residence card documenting you as being a family member of an EU national (not the same Thing as an ordinary residence permit), and are travelling with your spouse, or to join him/her, then you do not need a visa



            If you are travelling alone and not to meet your spouse, or you do not have a residence card for family members of an EEA citizen, you will Need a visa






            share|improve this answer



























              3














              As per Timatic, the database used by Airlines:




              Visa required, except for Passengers with a "Family Member"
              Residence Card marked "Permanent Residence Card of a Family
              Member of a Union Citizen or Residence Card of a Family Member of a Union Citizen issued by another EEA member state to family members of an EEA national or national of Switzerland if traveling with or traveling to join the EEA national or national of Switzerland.




              Meaning: if you have a residence card documenting you as being a family member of an EU national (not the same Thing as an ordinary residence permit), and are travelling with your spouse, or to join him/her, then you do not need a visa



              If you are travelling alone and not to meet your spouse, or you do not have a residence card for family members of an EEA citizen, you will Need a visa






              share|improve this answer

























                3












                3








                3







                As per Timatic, the database used by Airlines:




                Visa required, except for Passengers with a "Family Member"
                Residence Card marked "Permanent Residence Card of a Family
                Member of a Union Citizen or Residence Card of a Family Member of a Union Citizen issued by another EEA member state to family members of an EEA national or national of Switzerland if traveling with or traveling to join the EEA national or national of Switzerland.




                Meaning: if you have a residence card documenting you as being a family member of an EU national (not the same Thing as an ordinary residence permit), and are travelling with your spouse, or to join him/her, then you do not need a visa



                If you are travelling alone and not to meet your spouse, or you do not have a residence card for family members of an EEA citizen, you will Need a visa






                share|improve this answer













                As per Timatic, the database used by Airlines:




                Visa required, except for Passengers with a "Family Member"
                Residence Card marked "Permanent Residence Card of a Family
                Member of a Union Citizen or Residence Card of a Family Member of a Union Citizen issued by another EEA member state to family members of an EEA national or national of Switzerland if traveling with or traveling to join the EEA national or national of Switzerland.




                Meaning: if you have a residence card documenting you as being a family member of an EU national (not the same Thing as an ordinary residence permit), and are travelling with your spouse, or to join him/her, then you do not need a visa



                If you are travelling alone and not to meet your spouse, or you do not have a residence card for family members of an EEA citizen, you will Need a visa







                share|improve this answer












                share|improve this answer



                share|improve this answer










                answered Nov 17 '16 at 22:28









                CrazydreCrazydre

                52.9k1198232




                52.9k1198232



























                    draft saved

                    draft discarded
















































                    Thanks for contributing an answer to Travel Stack Exchange!


                    • Please be sure to answer the question. Provide details and share your research!

                    But avoid


                    • Asking for help, clarification, or responding to other answers.

                    • Making statements based on opinion; back them up with references or personal experience.

                    To learn more, see our tips on writing great answers.




                    draft saved


                    draft discarded














                    StackExchange.ready(
                    function ()
                    StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2ftravel.stackexchange.com%2fquestions%2f82813%2fcan-an-eu-family-member-enter-the-uk-using-an-eu-residence-permit%23new-answer', 'question_page');

                    );

                    Post as a guest















                    Required, but never shown





















































                    Required, but never shown














                    Required, but never shown












                    Required, but never shown







                    Required, but never shown

































                    Required, but never shown














                    Required, but never shown












                    Required, but never shown







                    Required, but never shown