US passport, Turkish Airlines, Transfer in Instanbul, traveling in December. Visa Issues?



.everyoneloves__top-leaderboard:empty,.everyoneloves__mid-leaderboard:empty margin-bottom:0;







up vote
3
down vote

favorite












I am flying Turkish Airlines from the United States to the Seychelle Islands and back in early December. USA and Turkey are in a visa hold and not issuing visas to each other at this time. Does anyone know if I might be able to visit Istanbul during one of my 10 hour layovers?










share|improve this question























  • Are you planning on leaving the transit area and entering the country? If yes, you will need to go through passport control and have a visa. If you stay within the transit area, you don't go through passport control, so wouldn't need a visa.
    – hnltraveler
    Oct 19 '17 at 2:40
















up vote
3
down vote

favorite












I am flying Turkish Airlines from the United States to the Seychelle Islands and back in early December. USA and Turkey are in a visa hold and not issuing visas to each other at this time. Does anyone know if I might be able to visit Istanbul during one of my 10 hour layovers?










share|improve this question























  • Are you planning on leaving the transit area and entering the country? If yes, you will need to go through passport control and have a visa. If you stay within the transit area, you don't go through passport control, so wouldn't need a visa.
    – hnltraveler
    Oct 19 '17 at 2:40












up vote
3
down vote

favorite









up vote
3
down vote

favorite











I am flying Turkish Airlines from the United States to the Seychelle Islands and back in early December. USA and Turkey are in a visa hold and not issuing visas to each other at this time. Does anyone know if I might be able to visit Istanbul during one of my 10 hour layovers?










share|improve this question















I am flying Turkish Airlines from the United States to the Seychelle Islands and back in early December. USA and Turkey are in a visa hold and not issuing visas to each other at this time. Does anyone know if I might be able to visit Istanbul during one of my 10 hour layovers?







visas customs-and-immigration us-citizens turkey






share|improve this question















share|improve this question













share|improve this question




share|improve this question








edited Oct 18 '17 at 16:28









Coke

48.7k889216




48.7k889216










asked Oct 18 '17 at 12:30









Ronda

162




162











  • Are you planning on leaving the transit area and entering the country? If yes, you will need to go through passport control and have a visa. If you stay within the transit area, you don't go through passport control, so wouldn't need a visa.
    – hnltraveler
    Oct 19 '17 at 2:40
















  • Are you planning on leaving the transit area and entering the country? If yes, you will need to go through passport control and have a visa. If you stay within the transit area, you don't go through passport control, so wouldn't need a visa.
    – hnltraveler
    Oct 19 '17 at 2:40















Are you planning on leaving the transit area and entering the country? If yes, you will need to go through passport control and have a visa. If you stay within the transit area, you don't go through passport control, so wouldn't need a visa.
– hnltraveler
Oct 19 '17 at 2:40




Are you planning on leaving the transit area and entering the country? If yes, you will need to go through passport control and have a visa. If you stay within the transit area, you don't go through passport control, so wouldn't need a visa.
– hnltraveler
Oct 19 '17 at 2:40










2 Answers
2






active

oldest

votes

















up vote
1
down vote













Thanks for all your inputs, I appreciate it. I was able to talk to the Turkish Consulate today. As @hnltraveler mentioned, I am OK if I don't leave the airport.



If I wanted to leave the airport, they suggested that I fly to Canada and obtain a visa there. Since my layovers are only about 10 hours and I can't change my ticket, I am going to wait it out. I may be able to do a tour on the backend return.



There is a delegation working on the issue, I will hope for the best.



https://www.oyster.com/articles/62012-u-s-and-turkey-suspend-visa-services-for-travelers/






share|improve this answer






















  • Thanks for posting what you found out as an answer! You can merge your two accounts by clicking the "contact" link at the bottom of the page.
    – David Richerby
    Oct 19 '17 at 18:14











  • By the way, "visa" is just an ordinary word. It's not an acronym, so there's no reason to write it in all caps.
    – David Richerby
    Oct 19 '17 at 18:15










  • On the backend return you can get a visa on arrival
    – Coke
    Oct 28 '17 at 23:03

















up vote
0
down vote













UPDATE (as of December 2017) : The Turkish government is once again issuing e-visas (US$20) and visa-on-arrivals (US$30) to US Citizens.



The details below are, at this point in time, incorrect but left for historic reference.




As stated in Timatic, the database used by airlines:




Visa required, except for Nationals of USA can obtain a visa
on arrival for a maximum stay of 3 months. This does not apply
to nationals of the USA departing from the USA and traveling
directly to Turkey or transiting in a third country less than
24 hours




So you can get a visa on arrival at the airport visa desk if not arriving directly from the US, and having spent at least 24 hours transiting a third country. In this case, you can visit Istanbul.



Otherwise, you will be refused entry, and cannot visit Istanbul, since no visas or e-visas in advance are being issued to US citizens



UPDATE: Timatic's been updated, now stating:




Visa required, except for Nationals of the USA can obtain a
visa on arrival for a maximum stay of 3 months. They must be
arriving from a country other than the USA and have a
residence permit issued by the country they are arriving from.




So Americans residing in the US can no longer get a visa on arrival at all






share|improve this answer


















  • 3




    My understanding of the US-Turkish visa freeze was that Visa on arrival services had been suspended for US citizens.
    – Jacob Horbulyk
    Oct 18 '17 at 20:04






  • 1




    Also, this answer does not provide a clear yes/no to the question asked.
    – Jacob Horbulyk
    Oct 18 '17 at 20:05











  • @JacobHorbulyk Called the border police at Istanbul-Atatürk airport, and it is exactly like Timatic states
    – Coke
    Oct 18 '17 at 20:22






  • 3




    According to the Turkish Embassy: "This measure [suspension of visa services] will apply to sticker visas as well as e-Visas and border visas." Turkish Airlines is reportedly offering free changes and refunds as a result, though they say it won't impact transit passengers. As I interpret this, you might be able to get a visa at the border during your layover on the way back, but not going.
    – Zach Lipton
    Oct 18 '17 at 20:24






  • 1




    @ZachLipton Again, I spoke to the border police director (+90 212 463 30 00) - he if anyone should know 100% what practices they're applying at the border
    – Coke
    Oct 18 '17 at 20:42











Your Answer







StackExchange.ready(function()
var channelOptions =
tags: "".split(" "),
id: "273"
;
initTagRenderer("".split(" "), "".split(" "), channelOptions);

StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function()
// Have to fire editor after snippets, if snippets enabled
if (StackExchange.settings.snippets.snippetsEnabled)
StackExchange.using("snippets", function()
createEditor();
);

else
createEditor();

);

function createEditor()
StackExchange.prepareEditor(
heartbeatType: 'answer',
convertImagesToLinks: false,
noModals: false,
showLowRepImageUploadWarning: true,
reputationToPostImages: null,
bindNavPrevention: true,
postfix: "",
noCode: true, onDemand: true,
discardSelector: ".discard-answer"
,immediatelyShowMarkdownHelp:true
);



);













 

draft saved


draft discarded


















StackExchange.ready(
function ()
StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2ftravel.stackexchange.com%2fquestions%2f103898%2fus-passport-turkish-airlines-transfer-in-instanbul-traveling-in-december-vis%23new-answer', 'question_page');

);

Post as a guest






























2 Answers
2






active

oldest

votes








2 Answers
2






active

oldest

votes









active

oldest

votes






active

oldest

votes








up vote
1
down vote













Thanks for all your inputs, I appreciate it. I was able to talk to the Turkish Consulate today. As @hnltraveler mentioned, I am OK if I don't leave the airport.



If I wanted to leave the airport, they suggested that I fly to Canada and obtain a visa there. Since my layovers are only about 10 hours and I can't change my ticket, I am going to wait it out. I may be able to do a tour on the backend return.



There is a delegation working on the issue, I will hope for the best.



https://www.oyster.com/articles/62012-u-s-and-turkey-suspend-visa-services-for-travelers/






share|improve this answer






















  • Thanks for posting what you found out as an answer! You can merge your two accounts by clicking the "contact" link at the bottom of the page.
    – David Richerby
    Oct 19 '17 at 18:14











  • By the way, "visa" is just an ordinary word. It's not an acronym, so there's no reason to write it in all caps.
    – David Richerby
    Oct 19 '17 at 18:15










  • On the backend return you can get a visa on arrival
    – Coke
    Oct 28 '17 at 23:03














up vote
1
down vote













Thanks for all your inputs, I appreciate it. I was able to talk to the Turkish Consulate today. As @hnltraveler mentioned, I am OK if I don't leave the airport.



If I wanted to leave the airport, they suggested that I fly to Canada and obtain a visa there. Since my layovers are only about 10 hours and I can't change my ticket, I am going to wait it out. I may be able to do a tour on the backend return.



There is a delegation working on the issue, I will hope for the best.



https://www.oyster.com/articles/62012-u-s-and-turkey-suspend-visa-services-for-travelers/






share|improve this answer






















  • Thanks for posting what you found out as an answer! You can merge your two accounts by clicking the "contact" link at the bottom of the page.
    – David Richerby
    Oct 19 '17 at 18:14











  • By the way, "visa" is just an ordinary word. It's not an acronym, so there's no reason to write it in all caps.
    – David Richerby
    Oct 19 '17 at 18:15










  • On the backend return you can get a visa on arrival
    – Coke
    Oct 28 '17 at 23:03












up vote
1
down vote










up vote
1
down vote









Thanks for all your inputs, I appreciate it. I was able to talk to the Turkish Consulate today. As @hnltraveler mentioned, I am OK if I don't leave the airport.



If I wanted to leave the airport, they suggested that I fly to Canada and obtain a visa there. Since my layovers are only about 10 hours and I can't change my ticket, I am going to wait it out. I may be able to do a tour on the backend return.



There is a delegation working on the issue, I will hope for the best.



https://www.oyster.com/articles/62012-u-s-and-turkey-suspend-visa-services-for-travelers/






share|improve this answer














Thanks for all your inputs, I appreciate it. I was able to talk to the Turkish Consulate today. As @hnltraveler mentioned, I am OK if I don't leave the airport.



If I wanted to leave the airport, they suggested that I fly to Canada and obtain a visa there. Since my layovers are only about 10 hours and I can't change my ticket, I am going to wait it out. I may be able to do a tour on the backend return.



There is a delegation working on the issue, I will hope for the best.



https://www.oyster.com/articles/62012-u-s-and-turkey-suspend-visa-services-for-travelers/







share|improve this answer














share|improve this answer



share|improve this answer








edited Oct 19 '17 at 18:14









David Richerby

9,66473969




9,66473969










answered Oct 19 '17 at 18:08









Ronda

111




111











  • Thanks for posting what you found out as an answer! You can merge your two accounts by clicking the "contact" link at the bottom of the page.
    – David Richerby
    Oct 19 '17 at 18:14











  • By the way, "visa" is just an ordinary word. It's not an acronym, so there's no reason to write it in all caps.
    – David Richerby
    Oct 19 '17 at 18:15










  • On the backend return you can get a visa on arrival
    – Coke
    Oct 28 '17 at 23:03
















  • Thanks for posting what you found out as an answer! You can merge your two accounts by clicking the "contact" link at the bottom of the page.
    – David Richerby
    Oct 19 '17 at 18:14











  • By the way, "visa" is just an ordinary word. It's not an acronym, so there's no reason to write it in all caps.
    – David Richerby
    Oct 19 '17 at 18:15










  • On the backend return you can get a visa on arrival
    – Coke
    Oct 28 '17 at 23:03















Thanks for posting what you found out as an answer! You can merge your two accounts by clicking the "contact" link at the bottom of the page.
– David Richerby
Oct 19 '17 at 18:14





Thanks for posting what you found out as an answer! You can merge your two accounts by clicking the "contact" link at the bottom of the page.
– David Richerby
Oct 19 '17 at 18:14













By the way, "visa" is just an ordinary word. It's not an acronym, so there's no reason to write it in all caps.
– David Richerby
Oct 19 '17 at 18:15




By the way, "visa" is just an ordinary word. It's not an acronym, so there's no reason to write it in all caps.
– David Richerby
Oct 19 '17 at 18:15












On the backend return you can get a visa on arrival
– Coke
Oct 28 '17 at 23:03




On the backend return you can get a visa on arrival
– Coke
Oct 28 '17 at 23:03












up vote
0
down vote













UPDATE (as of December 2017) : The Turkish government is once again issuing e-visas (US$20) and visa-on-arrivals (US$30) to US Citizens.



The details below are, at this point in time, incorrect but left for historic reference.




As stated in Timatic, the database used by airlines:




Visa required, except for Nationals of USA can obtain a visa
on arrival for a maximum stay of 3 months. This does not apply
to nationals of the USA departing from the USA and traveling
directly to Turkey or transiting in a third country less than
24 hours




So you can get a visa on arrival at the airport visa desk if not arriving directly from the US, and having spent at least 24 hours transiting a third country. In this case, you can visit Istanbul.



Otherwise, you will be refused entry, and cannot visit Istanbul, since no visas or e-visas in advance are being issued to US citizens



UPDATE: Timatic's been updated, now stating:




Visa required, except for Nationals of the USA can obtain a
visa on arrival for a maximum stay of 3 months. They must be
arriving from a country other than the USA and have a
residence permit issued by the country they are arriving from.




So Americans residing in the US can no longer get a visa on arrival at all






share|improve this answer


















  • 3




    My understanding of the US-Turkish visa freeze was that Visa on arrival services had been suspended for US citizens.
    – Jacob Horbulyk
    Oct 18 '17 at 20:04






  • 1




    Also, this answer does not provide a clear yes/no to the question asked.
    – Jacob Horbulyk
    Oct 18 '17 at 20:05











  • @JacobHorbulyk Called the border police at Istanbul-Atatürk airport, and it is exactly like Timatic states
    – Coke
    Oct 18 '17 at 20:22






  • 3




    According to the Turkish Embassy: "This measure [suspension of visa services] will apply to sticker visas as well as e-Visas and border visas." Turkish Airlines is reportedly offering free changes and refunds as a result, though they say it won't impact transit passengers. As I interpret this, you might be able to get a visa at the border during your layover on the way back, but not going.
    – Zach Lipton
    Oct 18 '17 at 20:24






  • 1




    @ZachLipton Again, I spoke to the border police director (+90 212 463 30 00) - he if anyone should know 100% what practices they're applying at the border
    – Coke
    Oct 18 '17 at 20:42















up vote
0
down vote













UPDATE (as of December 2017) : The Turkish government is once again issuing e-visas (US$20) and visa-on-arrivals (US$30) to US Citizens.



The details below are, at this point in time, incorrect but left for historic reference.




As stated in Timatic, the database used by airlines:




Visa required, except for Nationals of USA can obtain a visa
on arrival for a maximum stay of 3 months. This does not apply
to nationals of the USA departing from the USA and traveling
directly to Turkey or transiting in a third country less than
24 hours




So you can get a visa on arrival at the airport visa desk if not arriving directly from the US, and having spent at least 24 hours transiting a third country. In this case, you can visit Istanbul.



Otherwise, you will be refused entry, and cannot visit Istanbul, since no visas or e-visas in advance are being issued to US citizens



UPDATE: Timatic's been updated, now stating:




Visa required, except for Nationals of the USA can obtain a
visa on arrival for a maximum stay of 3 months. They must be
arriving from a country other than the USA and have a
residence permit issued by the country they are arriving from.




So Americans residing in the US can no longer get a visa on arrival at all






share|improve this answer


















  • 3




    My understanding of the US-Turkish visa freeze was that Visa on arrival services had been suspended for US citizens.
    – Jacob Horbulyk
    Oct 18 '17 at 20:04






  • 1




    Also, this answer does not provide a clear yes/no to the question asked.
    – Jacob Horbulyk
    Oct 18 '17 at 20:05











  • @JacobHorbulyk Called the border police at Istanbul-Atatürk airport, and it is exactly like Timatic states
    – Coke
    Oct 18 '17 at 20:22






  • 3




    According to the Turkish Embassy: "This measure [suspension of visa services] will apply to sticker visas as well as e-Visas and border visas." Turkish Airlines is reportedly offering free changes and refunds as a result, though they say it won't impact transit passengers. As I interpret this, you might be able to get a visa at the border during your layover on the way back, but not going.
    – Zach Lipton
    Oct 18 '17 at 20:24






  • 1




    @ZachLipton Again, I spoke to the border police director (+90 212 463 30 00) - he if anyone should know 100% what practices they're applying at the border
    – Coke
    Oct 18 '17 at 20:42













up vote
0
down vote










up vote
0
down vote









UPDATE (as of December 2017) : The Turkish government is once again issuing e-visas (US$20) and visa-on-arrivals (US$30) to US Citizens.



The details below are, at this point in time, incorrect but left for historic reference.




As stated in Timatic, the database used by airlines:




Visa required, except for Nationals of USA can obtain a visa
on arrival for a maximum stay of 3 months. This does not apply
to nationals of the USA departing from the USA and traveling
directly to Turkey or transiting in a third country less than
24 hours




So you can get a visa on arrival at the airport visa desk if not arriving directly from the US, and having spent at least 24 hours transiting a third country. In this case, you can visit Istanbul.



Otherwise, you will be refused entry, and cannot visit Istanbul, since no visas or e-visas in advance are being issued to US citizens



UPDATE: Timatic's been updated, now stating:




Visa required, except for Nationals of the USA can obtain a
visa on arrival for a maximum stay of 3 months. They must be
arriving from a country other than the USA and have a
residence permit issued by the country they are arriving from.




So Americans residing in the US can no longer get a visa on arrival at all






share|improve this answer














UPDATE (as of December 2017) : The Turkish government is once again issuing e-visas (US$20) and visa-on-arrivals (US$30) to US Citizens.



The details below are, at this point in time, incorrect but left for historic reference.




As stated in Timatic, the database used by airlines:




Visa required, except for Nationals of USA can obtain a visa
on arrival for a maximum stay of 3 months. This does not apply
to nationals of the USA departing from the USA and traveling
directly to Turkey or transiting in a third country less than
24 hours




So you can get a visa on arrival at the airport visa desk if not arriving directly from the US, and having spent at least 24 hours transiting a third country. In this case, you can visit Istanbul.



Otherwise, you will be refused entry, and cannot visit Istanbul, since no visas or e-visas in advance are being issued to US citizens



UPDATE: Timatic's been updated, now stating:




Visa required, except for Nationals of the USA can obtain a
visa on arrival for a maximum stay of 3 months. They must be
arriving from a country other than the USA and have a
residence permit issued by the country they are arriving from.




So Americans residing in the US can no longer get a visa on arrival at all







share|improve this answer














share|improve this answer



share|improve this answer








edited Dec 31 '17 at 4:38









Doc

66.9k3157254




66.9k3157254










answered Oct 18 '17 at 16:29









Coke

48.7k889216




48.7k889216







  • 3




    My understanding of the US-Turkish visa freeze was that Visa on arrival services had been suspended for US citizens.
    – Jacob Horbulyk
    Oct 18 '17 at 20:04






  • 1




    Also, this answer does not provide a clear yes/no to the question asked.
    – Jacob Horbulyk
    Oct 18 '17 at 20:05











  • @JacobHorbulyk Called the border police at Istanbul-Atatürk airport, and it is exactly like Timatic states
    – Coke
    Oct 18 '17 at 20:22






  • 3




    According to the Turkish Embassy: "This measure [suspension of visa services] will apply to sticker visas as well as e-Visas and border visas." Turkish Airlines is reportedly offering free changes and refunds as a result, though they say it won't impact transit passengers. As I interpret this, you might be able to get a visa at the border during your layover on the way back, but not going.
    – Zach Lipton
    Oct 18 '17 at 20:24






  • 1




    @ZachLipton Again, I spoke to the border police director (+90 212 463 30 00) - he if anyone should know 100% what practices they're applying at the border
    – Coke
    Oct 18 '17 at 20:42













  • 3




    My understanding of the US-Turkish visa freeze was that Visa on arrival services had been suspended for US citizens.
    – Jacob Horbulyk
    Oct 18 '17 at 20:04






  • 1




    Also, this answer does not provide a clear yes/no to the question asked.
    – Jacob Horbulyk
    Oct 18 '17 at 20:05











  • @JacobHorbulyk Called the border police at Istanbul-Atatürk airport, and it is exactly like Timatic states
    – Coke
    Oct 18 '17 at 20:22






  • 3




    According to the Turkish Embassy: "This measure [suspension of visa services] will apply to sticker visas as well as e-Visas and border visas." Turkish Airlines is reportedly offering free changes and refunds as a result, though they say it won't impact transit passengers. As I interpret this, you might be able to get a visa at the border during your layover on the way back, but not going.
    – Zach Lipton
    Oct 18 '17 at 20:24






  • 1




    @ZachLipton Again, I spoke to the border police director (+90 212 463 30 00) - he if anyone should know 100% what practices they're applying at the border
    – Coke
    Oct 18 '17 at 20:42








3




3




My understanding of the US-Turkish visa freeze was that Visa on arrival services had been suspended for US citizens.
– Jacob Horbulyk
Oct 18 '17 at 20:04




My understanding of the US-Turkish visa freeze was that Visa on arrival services had been suspended for US citizens.
– Jacob Horbulyk
Oct 18 '17 at 20:04




1




1




Also, this answer does not provide a clear yes/no to the question asked.
– Jacob Horbulyk
Oct 18 '17 at 20:05





Also, this answer does not provide a clear yes/no to the question asked.
– Jacob Horbulyk
Oct 18 '17 at 20:05













@JacobHorbulyk Called the border police at Istanbul-Atatürk airport, and it is exactly like Timatic states
– Coke
Oct 18 '17 at 20:22




@JacobHorbulyk Called the border police at Istanbul-Atatürk airport, and it is exactly like Timatic states
– Coke
Oct 18 '17 at 20:22




3




3




According to the Turkish Embassy: "This measure [suspension of visa services] will apply to sticker visas as well as e-Visas and border visas." Turkish Airlines is reportedly offering free changes and refunds as a result, though they say it won't impact transit passengers. As I interpret this, you might be able to get a visa at the border during your layover on the way back, but not going.
– Zach Lipton
Oct 18 '17 at 20:24




According to the Turkish Embassy: "This measure [suspension of visa services] will apply to sticker visas as well as e-Visas and border visas." Turkish Airlines is reportedly offering free changes and refunds as a result, though they say it won't impact transit passengers. As I interpret this, you might be able to get a visa at the border during your layover on the way back, but not going.
– Zach Lipton
Oct 18 '17 at 20:24




1




1




@ZachLipton Again, I spoke to the border police director (+90 212 463 30 00) - he if anyone should know 100% what practices they're applying at the border
– Coke
Oct 18 '17 at 20:42





@ZachLipton Again, I spoke to the border police director (+90 212 463 30 00) - he if anyone should know 100% what practices they're applying at the border
– Coke
Oct 18 '17 at 20:42


















 

draft saved


draft discarded















































 


draft saved


draft discarded














StackExchange.ready(
function ()
StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2ftravel.stackexchange.com%2fquestions%2f103898%2fus-passport-turkish-airlines-transfer-in-instanbul-traveling-in-december-vis%23new-answer', 'question_page');

);

Post as a guest














































































Popular posts from this blog

𛂒𛀶,𛀽𛀑𛂀𛃧𛂓𛀙𛃆𛃑𛃷𛂟𛁡𛀢𛀟𛁤𛂽𛁕𛁪𛂟𛂯,𛁞𛂧𛀴𛁄𛁠𛁼𛂿𛀤 𛂘,𛁺𛂾𛃭𛃭𛃵𛀺,𛂣𛃍𛂖𛃶 𛀸𛃀𛂖𛁶𛁏𛁚 𛂢𛂞 𛁰𛂆𛀔,𛁸𛀽𛁓𛃋𛂇𛃧𛀧𛃣𛂐𛃇,𛂂𛃻𛃲𛁬𛃞𛀧𛃃𛀅 𛂭𛁠𛁡𛃇𛀷𛃓𛁥,𛁙𛁘𛁞𛃸𛁸𛃣𛁜,𛂛,𛃿,𛁯𛂘𛂌𛃛𛁱𛃌𛂈𛂇 𛁊𛃲,𛀕𛃴𛀜 𛀶𛂆𛀶𛃟𛂉𛀣,𛂐𛁞𛁾 𛁷𛂑𛁳𛂯𛀬𛃅,𛃶𛁼

Malaysia to Papua New Guinea by motorcycle?

PHP code is not being executed, instead code shows on the page