What does “m.Iz.” or “m.Tz.” mean in a score?

What does “m.Iz.” or “m.Tz.” mean in a score?



What does "m.Iz." or "m.Tz." (or "m.I%." or "m.T%.": I don't know if it is a "%" or a "z") mean in this score? The piece is the waltz "Diana Triste" of the Colombian composer Luis A. Calvo (1882-1945). Here is the link to the score:



https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Dk_Y-xlXpcWsA6h5o8heTIscdgfhLO6o



enter image description here





Is that actually a "m. I. z."? The stem at the bottom of the "T" seems too big.
– Dekkadeci
Aug 29 at 23:54





And what is "m. l. z"? I am a newbie in musical notation.
– J.C.M.H.
Aug 29 at 23:56





Hi, for future posts, please be sure to provide the name of the piece & composer; posting the publisher and a link to the full sheet is helpful as well.
– Carl Witthoft
Aug 30 at 11:21




2 Answers
2



My guess is that this is a Spanish score?



If so, the abbreviations tell us which hand plays which notes.



The "m.Iz." stands for "mano izquierda," which is Spanish for "left hand." The "m.d.," meanwhile, stands for "mano derecha," or "right hand."



The upper staff in the second-to-last measure, for instance, will switch hands every beat as you climb up the keyboard: right hand on beat 1, left hand on beat 2, and right hand on beat 3.



Similar terms are used for scores in other languages; see Why is there a "G" marked on an augmented octave in Scarlatti Sonata K466 in F minor?





Yes, it is a Spanish score. Thank you, now it makes sense. The problem is that the "I" looked like a "T", and in the last occurrence, there is a period sign between "I" and "z".
– J.C.M.H.
Aug 30 at 0:25





The edition of the score is somewhat neglected. The score appeared in the last page of the Colombian magazine "Mundo al Día" on June 28, 1930. The piece is the waltz "Diana Triste" of Luis A. Calvo.
– J.C.M.H.
Aug 30 at 0:37





Just one thing, should be "mano derecha" instead of "mano derecho" since the noun "mano" y feminine :)
– Daniel
Aug 30 at 13:58





@Richard -- they both look like "T"s to me, but the reason I mentioned it is that I just rejected a proposed edit to change the "T"s to "I"s in the question. Maybe I shouldn't have rejected the edit, but it seems to me that the misinterpretation of the letters is an important part of the question (though I doubt that this knowledge alone would have helped OP). It seems that others could also make the same mis"T"ake. Maybe the title should be edited to include both spellings....
– David Bowling
Aug 30 at 14:06





@Richard -- now that the original proposed edit has expired, I have gone ahead and edited the question title and made similar changes to the body (if I would have thought of it before rejecting I would have just accepted and improved the original edit suggestion!)
– David Bowling
Sep 1 at 2:07



If I where sight-reading this, the conductor would have received

Mezzo Trillz

b/c I'm also looking at the scoop next to the birds-eye.



Mezzo Trillz



Medium Trillz is my answer since I go the Italian language on sheet music before any spanish begins to cross my mind.



Italian.



Required, but never shown



Required, but never shown






By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Popular posts from this blog

𛂒𛀶,𛀽𛀑𛂀𛃧𛂓𛀙𛃆𛃑𛃷𛂟𛁡𛀢𛀟𛁤𛂽𛁕𛁪𛂟𛂯,𛁞𛂧𛀴𛁄𛁠𛁼𛂿𛀤 𛂘,𛁺𛂾𛃭𛃭𛃵𛀺,𛂣𛃍𛂖𛃶 𛀸𛃀𛂖𛁶𛁏𛁚 𛂢𛂞 𛁰𛂆𛀔,𛁸𛀽𛁓𛃋𛂇𛃧𛀧𛃣𛂐𛃇,𛂂𛃻𛃲𛁬𛃞𛀧𛃃𛀅 𛂭𛁠𛁡𛃇𛀷𛃓𛁥,𛁙𛁘𛁞𛃸𛁸𛃣𛁜,𛂛,𛃿,𛁯𛂘𛂌𛃛𛁱𛃌𛂈𛂇 𛁊𛃲,𛀕𛃴𛀜 𛀶𛂆𛀶𛃟𛂉𛀣,𛂐𛁞𛁾 𛁷𛂑𛁳𛂯𛀬𛃅,𛃶𛁼

Edmonton

Crossroads (UK TV series)