Alternative for the phrase “in a word”

Alternative for the phrase “in a word”



I have the following sentence:



So, in a word, my goal is to eat Kentucky Fried Chicken.



I have read elsewhere that using the phrase "in a word" here is not best practice - because I have an entire clause after it.



What would be an alternative way to say what I'm trying to get across? I am trying to say that if I had to write it down or describe it, then this is my goal.



Thanks in advance!






What's the preceding sentence/context? You could possibly introduce the clause with i.e.

– BruceWayne
Sep 9 '18 at 20:22


i.e.






In a word is fine for spoken English.

– Lambie
Sep 9 '18 at 23:03






Briefly, use: briefly.

– Kris
Sep 10 '18 at 7:14





4 Answers
4



If you want an idiomatic expression you may use:



In a nutshell:



You can use in a nutshell to indicate that you are saying something in a very brief way, using few words.



(Collins Dictionary)



You could use "in short"



So, in short, my goal is to eat Kentucky Fried Chicken.



Do not, however, take the meaning of "in a word" literally. Your example is fine as it is.



So, basically, my goal is to eat Kentucky Fried Chicken



From Dictionary.com
basically



There are also a couple of words in the thesauraus entry from dictionary.com that would fit.



So essentially my goal is to eat Kentucky Fried Chicken



So in essence my goal ist to eat Kentucky Fried Chicken



Succinctly - meaning briefly or in short.



To put it succinctly; my goal is to eat Kentucky Fried Chicken



Alternatives:



Bonus: TL:DR - pronounced "Tee-el-Dee-are", acronym for "Too long - didn't read". It's internet slang, but depending on your audience and purpose of writing would be perfectly acceptable.






'Succinctly' is a perfectly good word, but it somehow looks out of place in a sentence about KFC...

– Anyon
Sep 10 '18 at 3:32






You've got a point - it is out of place against the rest of the sentence - part of the reason I added the alternatives

– Chromane
Sep 10 '18 at 5:32




Thanks for contributing an answer to English Language & Usage Stack Exchange!



But avoid



To learn more, see our tips on writing great answers.



Required, but never shown



Required, but never shown




By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Popular posts from this blog

𛂒𛀶,𛀽𛀑𛂀𛃧𛂓𛀙𛃆𛃑𛃷𛂟𛁡𛀢𛀟𛁤𛂽𛁕𛁪𛂟𛂯,𛁞𛂧𛀴𛁄𛁠𛁼𛂿𛀤 𛂘,𛁺𛂾𛃭𛃭𛃵𛀺,𛂣𛃍𛂖𛃶 𛀸𛃀𛂖𛁶𛁏𛁚 𛂢𛂞 𛁰𛂆𛀔,𛁸𛀽𛁓𛃋𛂇𛃧𛀧𛃣𛂐𛃇,𛂂𛃻𛃲𛁬𛃞𛀧𛃃𛀅 𛂭𛁠𛁡𛃇𛀷𛃓𛁥,𛁙𛁘𛁞𛃸𛁸𛃣𛁜,𛂛,𛃿,𛁯𛂘𛂌𛃛𛁱𛃌𛂈𛂇 𛁊𛃲,𛀕𛃴𛀜 𛀶𛂆𛀶𛃟𛂉𛀣,𛂐𛁞𛁾 𛁷𛂑𛁳𛂯𛀬𛃅,𛃶𛁼

Edmonton

Crossroads (UK TV series)