How does pricing on the Amazon River boats work?



.everyoneloves__top-leaderboard:empty,.everyoneloves__mid-leaderboard:empty margin-bottom:0;







up vote
5
down vote

favorite












Last week I went from Manaus to Santarém by boat. I bought my ticket in the Manaus port, from a guy standing around the entrance (he looked shady but the Tourist Police told me he's an authorized seller). I paid R$90, I travelled sleeping in a hammock, without a cabin. A girl sleeping next to me paid R$80.
On the boat I saw this list, saying the price of Manaus-Santarém is R$180:
list of prices on the boat



Then I'm planning to go further to Belém, someone told me before the price is R$150, but the only agency I found says it's R $200 and that it's a promotion. There's no price neither in the agency nor on the ticket I had from Manaus.



Is there some official pricing list for these boats that I can reference when buying the next ticket? I'd treat the one on the boat as the official one, but I'm confused why I paid half the price.










share|improve this question



















  • 4




    FWIW, I also remember the second leg being more expensive. I also think that the listed 'official' rates for boats on the Amazon are about as reliable as published airline fares.
    – MastaBaba
    Nov 29 '17 at 16:01
















up vote
5
down vote

favorite












Last week I went from Manaus to Santarém by boat. I bought my ticket in the Manaus port, from a guy standing around the entrance (he looked shady but the Tourist Police told me he's an authorized seller). I paid R$90, I travelled sleeping in a hammock, without a cabin. A girl sleeping next to me paid R$80.
On the boat I saw this list, saying the price of Manaus-Santarém is R$180:
list of prices on the boat



Then I'm planning to go further to Belém, someone told me before the price is R$150, but the only agency I found says it's R $200 and that it's a promotion. There's no price neither in the agency nor on the ticket I had from Manaus.



Is there some official pricing list for these boats that I can reference when buying the next ticket? I'd treat the one on the boat as the official one, but I'm confused why I paid half the price.










share|improve this question



















  • 4




    FWIW, I also remember the second leg being more expensive. I also think that the listed 'official' rates for boats on the Amazon are about as reliable as published airline fares.
    – MastaBaba
    Nov 29 '17 at 16:01












up vote
5
down vote

favorite









up vote
5
down vote

favorite











Last week I went from Manaus to Santarém by boat. I bought my ticket in the Manaus port, from a guy standing around the entrance (he looked shady but the Tourist Police told me he's an authorized seller). I paid R$90, I travelled sleeping in a hammock, without a cabin. A girl sleeping next to me paid R$80.
On the boat I saw this list, saying the price of Manaus-Santarém is R$180:
list of prices on the boat



Then I'm planning to go further to Belém, someone told me before the price is R$150, but the only agency I found says it's R $200 and that it's a promotion. There's no price neither in the agency nor on the ticket I had from Manaus.



Is there some official pricing list for these boats that I can reference when buying the next ticket? I'd treat the one on the boat as the official one, but I'm confused why I paid half the price.










share|improve this question















Last week I went from Manaus to Santarém by boat. I bought my ticket in the Manaus port, from a guy standing around the entrance (he looked shady but the Tourist Police told me he's an authorized seller). I paid R$90, I travelled sleeping in a hammock, without a cabin. A girl sleeping next to me paid R$80.
On the boat I saw this list, saying the price of Manaus-Santarém is R$180:
list of prices on the boat



Then I'm planning to go further to Belém, someone told me before the price is R$150, but the only agency I found says it's R $200 and that it's a promotion. There's no price neither in the agency nor on the ticket I had from Manaus.



Is there some official pricing list for these boats that I can reference when buying the next ticket? I'd treat the one on the boat as the official one, but I'm confused why I paid half the price.







tickets brazil riverboats amazon-river






share|improve this question















share|improve this question













share|improve this question




share|improve this question








edited Dec 1 '17 at 15:02









JonathanReez♦

46.6k36214459




46.6k36214459










asked Nov 29 '17 at 14:25









Kuba

3,83211441




3,83211441







  • 4




    FWIW, I also remember the second leg being more expensive. I also think that the listed 'official' rates for boats on the Amazon are about as reliable as published airline fares.
    – MastaBaba
    Nov 29 '17 at 16:01












  • 4




    FWIW, I also remember the second leg being more expensive. I also think that the listed 'official' rates for boats on the Amazon are about as reliable as published airline fares.
    – MastaBaba
    Nov 29 '17 at 16:01







4




4




FWIW, I also remember the second leg being more expensive. I also think that the listed 'official' rates for boats on the Amazon are about as reliable as published airline fares.
– MastaBaba
Nov 29 '17 at 16:01




FWIW, I also remember the second leg being more expensive. I also think that the listed 'official' rates for boats on the Amazon are about as reliable as published airline fares.
– MastaBaba
Nov 29 '17 at 16:01










1 Answer
1






active

oldest

votes

















up vote
6
down vote



accepted










As a rule of thumb, any board, if not written with chalk or easily editable, is outdated.



I have found this site with prices (in Portuguese):
Porto de Manaus Agency



Also there's this trip's tips site describing the travel (in Portuguese):
Viaje na viajem



You can compare those prices with a regular airliners prices (in Portuguese):
Decolar.com



Note getting back by the river is not (necessarily) the same price because the river flows from Manaus to Santarém so Manaus-Santarém is a 30h trip while Santarém-Manaus is a 42h trip.



The Belém leg is longer, so you should expect prices not to be the same.
Google maps Manaus-Santarém-Belém by road



I was not able to find an updated site with prices, but I did find some blogs about the Santarém-Belém leg.



(all in Portuguese)



http://www.verdejava.com.br/lugares/rio-amazonas-de-santarem-a-belem/
http://meusegundolar.blogspot.com.br/2012/04/viagem-santarem-belem-de-barco.html
http://guiaviajarmelhor.com.br/rota-dos-rios-viagem-de-barco-belem-x-santarem-x-manaus/



If you seek adventure and to blend with the locals it will be a nice trip. Personaly I cannot do that unless by a regular airline because of the (lack of) comfort and time.



And finally, please remember "Couples no allowed in the same hammock" =)
Finally remember "Couples no allowed in the same hammock"






share|improve this answer






















    Your Answer







    StackExchange.ready(function()
    var channelOptions =
    tags: "".split(" "),
    id: "273"
    ;
    initTagRenderer("".split(" "), "".split(" "), channelOptions);

    StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function()
    // Have to fire editor after snippets, if snippets enabled
    if (StackExchange.settings.snippets.snippetsEnabled)
    StackExchange.using("snippets", function()
    createEditor();
    );

    else
    createEditor();

    );

    function createEditor()
    StackExchange.prepareEditor(
    heartbeatType: 'answer',
    convertImagesToLinks: false,
    noModals: false,
    showLowRepImageUploadWarning: true,
    reputationToPostImages: null,
    bindNavPrevention: true,
    postfix: "",
    noCode: true, onDemand: true,
    discardSelector: ".discard-answer"
    ,immediatelyShowMarkdownHelp:true
    );



    );













     

    draft saved


    draft discarded


















    StackExchange.ready(
    function ()
    StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2ftravel.stackexchange.com%2fquestions%2f106006%2fhow-does-pricing-on-the-amazon-river-boats-work%23new-answer', 'question_page');

    );

    Post as a guest






























    1 Answer
    1






    active

    oldest

    votes








    1 Answer
    1






    active

    oldest

    votes









    active

    oldest

    votes






    active

    oldest

    votes








    up vote
    6
    down vote



    accepted










    As a rule of thumb, any board, if not written with chalk or easily editable, is outdated.



    I have found this site with prices (in Portuguese):
    Porto de Manaus Agency



    Also there's this trip's tips site describing the travel (in Portuguese):
    Viaje na viajem



    You can compare those prices with a regular airliners prices (in Portuguese):
    Decolar.com



    Note getting back by the river is not (necessarily) the same price because the river flows from Manaus to Santarém so Manaus-Santarém is a 30h trip while Santarém-Manaus is a 42h trip.



    The Belém leg is longer, so you should expect prices not to be the same.
    Google maps Manaus-Santarém-Belém by road



    I was not able to find an updated site with prices, but I did find some blogs about the Santarém-Belém leg.



    (all in Portuguese)



    http://www.verdejava.com.br/lugares/rio-amazonas-de-santarem-a-belem/
    http://meusegundolar.blogspot.com.br/2012/04/viagem-santarem-belem-de-barco.html
    http://guiaviajarmelhor.com.br/rota-dos-rios-viagem-de-barco-belem-x-santarem-x-manaus/



    If you seek adventure and to blend with the locals it will be a nice trip. Personaly I cannot do that unless by a regular airline because of the (lack of) comfort and time.



    And finally, please remember "Couples no allowed in the same hammock" =)
    Finally remember "Couples no allowed in the same hammock"






    share|improve this answer


























      up vote
      6
      down vote



      accepted










      As a rule of thumb, any board, if not written with chalk or easily editable, is outdated.



      I have found this site with prices (in Portuguese):
      Porto de Manaus Agency



      Also there's this trip's tips site describing the travel (in Portuguese):
      Viaje na viajem



      You can compare those prices with a regular airliners prices (in Portuguese):
      Decolar.com



      Note getting back by the river is not (necessarily) the same price because the river flows from Manaus to Santarém so Manaus-Santarém is a 30h trip while Santarém-Manaus is a 42h trip.



      The Belém leg is longer, so you should expect prices not to be the same.
      Google maps Manaus-Santarém-Belém by road



      I was not able to find an updated site with prices, but I did find some blogs about the Santarém-Belém leg.



      (all in Portuguese)



      http://www.verdejava.com.br/lugares/rio-amazonas-de-santarem-a-belem/
      http://meusegundolar.blogspot.com.br/2012/04/viagem-santarem-belem-de-barco.html
      http://guiaviajarmelhor.com.br/rota-dos-rios-viagem-de-barco-belem-x-santarem-x-manaus/



      If you seek adventure and to blend with the locals it will be a nice trip. Personaly I cannot do that unless by a regular airline because of the (lack of) comfort and time.



      And finally, please remember "Couples no allowed in the same hammock" =)
      Finally remember "Couples no allowed in the same hammock"






      share|improve this answer
























        up vote
        6
        down vote



        accepted







        up vote
        6
        down vote



        accepted






        As a rule of thumb, any board, if not written with chalk or easily editable, is outdated.



        I have found this site with prices (in Portuguese):
        Porto de Manaus Agency



        Also there's this trip's tips site describing the travel (in Portuguese):
        Viaje na viajem



        You can compare those prices with a regular airliners prices (in Portuguese):
        Decolar.com



        Note getting back by the river is not (necessarily) the same price because the river flows from Manaus to Santarém so Manaus-Santarém is a 30h trip while Santarém-Manaus is a 42h trip.



        The Belém leg is longer, so you should expect prices not to be the same.
        Google maps Manaus-Santarém-Belém by road



        I was not able to find an updated site with prices, but I did find some blogs about the Santarém-Belém leg.



        (all in Portuguese)



        http://www.verdejava.com.br/lugares/rio-amazonas-de-santarem-a-belem/
        http://meusegundolar.blogspot.com.br/2012/04/viagem-santarem-belem-de-barco.html
        http://guiaviajarmelhor.com.br/rota-dos-rios-viagem-de-barco-belem-x-santarem-x-manaus/



        If you seek adventure and to blend with the locals it will be a nice trip. Personaly I cannot do that unless by a regular airline because of the (lack of) comfort and time.



        And finally, please remember "Couples no allowed in the same hammock" =)
        Finally remember "Couples no allowed in the same hammock"






        share|improve this answer














        As a rule of thumb, any board, if not written with chalk or easily editable, is outdated.



        I have found this site with prices (in Portuguese):
        Porto de Manaus Agency



        Also there's this trip's tips site describing the travel (in Portuguese):
        Viaje na viajem



        You can compare those prices with a regular airliners prices (in Portuguese):
        Decolar.com



        Note getting back by the river is not (necessarily) the same price because the river flows from Manaus to Santarém so Manaus-Santarém is a 30h trip while Santarém-Manaus is a 42h trip.



        The Belém leg is longer, so you should expect prices not to be the same.
        Google maps Manaus-Santarém-Belém by road



        I was not able to find an updated site with prices, but I did find some blogs about the Santarém-Belém leg.



        (all in Portuguese)



        http://www.verdejava.com.br/lugares/rio-amazonas-de-santarem-a-belem/
        http://meusegundolar.blogspot.com.br/2012/04/viagem-santarem-belem-de-barco.html
        http://guiaviajarmelhor.com.br/rota-dos-rios-viagem-de-barco-belem-x-santarem-x-manaus/



        If you seek adventure and to blend with the locals it will be a nice trip. Personaly I cannot do that unless by a regular airline because of the (lack of) comfort and time.



        And finally, please remember "Couples no allowed in the same hammock" =)
        Finally remember "Couples no allowed in the same hammock"







        share|improve this answer














        share|improve this answer



        share|improve this answer








        edited Dec 1 '17 at 15:24









        CGCampbell

        7,73453767




        7,73453767










        answered Dec 1 '17 at 12:55









        jean

        35619




        35619



























             

            draft saved


            draft discarded















































             


            draft saved


            draft discarded














            StackExchange.ready(
            function ()
            StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2ftravel.stackexchange.com%2fquestions%2f106006%2fhow-does-pricing-on-the-amazon-river-boats-work%23new-answer', 'question_page');

            );

            Post as a guest














































































            Popular posts from this blog

            𛂒𛀶,𛀽𛀑𛂀𛃧𛂓𛀙𛃆𛃑𛃷𛂟𛁡𛀢𛀟𛁤𛂽𛁕𛁪𛂟𛂯,𛁞𛂧𛀴𛁄𛁠𛁼𛂿𛀤 𛂘,𛁺𛂾𛃭𛃭𛃵𛀺,𛂣𛃍𛂖𛃶 𛀸𛃀𛂖𛁶𛁏𛁚 𛂢𛂞 𛁰𛂆𛀔,𛁸𛀽𛁓𛃋𛂇𛃧𛀧𛃣𛂐𛃇,𛂂𛃻𛃲𛁬𛃞𛀧𛃃𛀅 𛂭𛁠𛁡𛃇𛀷𛃓𛁥,𛁙𛁘𛁞𛃸𛁸𛃣𛁜,𛂛,𛃿,𛁯𛂘𛂌𛃛𛁱𛃌𛂈𛂇 𛁊𛃲,𛀕𛃴𛀜 𛀶𛂆𛀶𛃟𛂉𛀣,𛂐𛁞𛁾 𛁷𛂑𛁳𛂯𛀬𛃅,𛃶𛁼

            Malaysia to Papua New Guinea by motorcycle?

            PHP code is not being executed, instead code shows on the page