Is an event a subspace of the sample space?

Is an event a subspace of the sample space?



In a lecture today, a professor of mine described an event as being "in" the sample space. When writing on the board, for a sample space $S$ and event $E$, it was denoted: $$E in S $$
This confused me, as I have always thought that events were subsets of the sample space, in which I case I would write: $$E subset S$$



When I asked after class, I was told that events are not subsets of the sample space. If they are not subsets of the sample space, then how are they defined?



For example, let $S$ be the 6 possible outcomes of rolling a 6-sided die. If we were interested in event $E$, where the number of pips is even, would $E$ not be a subset of all possible outcomes?





Unless your professor is using unusual definitions of "event" and "sample space," s/he is plainly wrong. (Even Wikipedia is unambiguously clear about that.) Perhaps you could quote the definitions they are using?
– whuber
Aug 23 at 13:14





We are using standard definitions of events and sample spaces. A sample space is defined as all possible outcomes of an experiment, and an event is defined as some set of outcomes in the sample space.
– James Otto
Aug 25 at 1:07





And that answers your question definitively.
– whuber
Aug 25 at 13:16




1 Answer
1



When I asked after class, I was told that events are not subsets of
the sample space.



No you're correct. Events are subsets of the sample space. There could be a few sources of confusion, though.



An event $E$ is a subset of $S$, however it is an element of sigma-field or sigma-algebra generated by $S$. Perhaps he wrote something like $E in sigma(S)$. This is because the sigma-field is a set of sets.



I think I recall that certain textbooks differentiate between events and "simple events." In the case of your dice example, $1 in 1,2,3,4,5,6$, but $1 subset 1,2,3,4,5,6$. In the first case, a simple event is an element of the space, and in the second, it's a set. I don't know, though. I find this confusing myself.





I should have mentioned in my original post, I asked my professor after class and they were not referring to the sigma-algebra generated by $S$. I have never heard of "simple events", that is very interesting. However, the events we were discussing had more than one element, so I do not believe they could be classified as "simple events", and would need to be subsets of $S$.
– James Otto
Aug 25 at 1:00






By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Popular posts from this blog

𛂒𛀶,𛀽𛀑𛂀𛃧𛂓𛀙𛃆𛃑𛃷𛂟𛁡𛀢𛀟𛁤𛂽𛁕𛁪𛂟𛂯,𛁞𛂧𛀴𛁄𛁠𛁼𛂿𛀤 𛂘,𛁺𛂾𛃭𛃭𛃵𛀺,𛂣𛃍𛂖𛃶 𛀸𛃀𛂖𛁶𛁏𛁚 𛂢𛂞 𛁰𛂆𛀔,𛁸𛀽𛁓𛃋𛂇𛃧𛀧𛃣𛂐𛃇,𛂂𛃻𛃲𛁬𛃞𛀧𛃃𛀅 𛂭𛁠𛁡𛃇𛀷𛃓𛁥,𛁙𛁘𛁞𛃸𛁸𛃣𛁜,𛂛,𛃿,𛁯𛂘𛂌𛃛𛁱𛃌𛂈𛂇 𛁊𛃲,𛀕𛃴𛀜 𛀶𛂆𛀶𛃟𛂉𛀣,𛂐𛁞𛁾 𛁷𛂑𛁳𛂯𛀬𛃅,𛃶𛁼

Edmonton

Crossroads (UK TV series)