loop a list - length of list but do not need the item created, pythonic? [duplicate]

loop a list - length of list but do not need the item created, pythonic? [duplicate]



This question already has an answer here:



This is going to be a bit silly of a question. I have a simple list:


my_list = ["apple", "orange", "car"]



And I'd like to run a loop for the length of that list, but I don't need anything in the list. I can clearly do this:


for item in my_list:
call_external_thingy()



Which would loop 3 times, perfect. However, I'm never using the item in my for loop. So while this does work, everytime I look at my code I feel that I've made a mistake, "Oh shoot, I didn't pass item in.. oh right I just need to run that command for the number of items in the list..."


item


item



What would be the more pythonic way to simply run a for loop for the number of items in a list without creating item. I'm thinking of something with len or range but can't get my head around it and anything I mock up just looks like a big mess.


item


len


range



Note, I'm tempted to put this on codereview instead, but they usually want all the code and a lot of why. This seems like a simple enough question to be here, but I could be wrong!



Thank you!



This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.






Good dupe find! I was searching around quite a bit before posting, but it makes sense that somebody else already asked this :)

– sniperd
Sep 14 '18 at 15:11




2 Answers
2



This is pythonic :


for _ in my_list:
call_external_thingy()






Interesting! Does the _ have a special meaning?

– sniperd
Sep 14 '18 at 13:26


_






_ has different purposes in python. hackernoon.com/… explains some _ usages

– Corentin Limier
Sep 14 '18 at 13:27






@sniperd It's just a convention to use _ to explicitly indicate that you aren't going to use the loop variable. However, in some contexts _ does have other meanings.

– PM 2Ring
Sep 14 '18 at 13:31


_


_






@JonasWolff Nope, why make a generator when you already have a list?

– PM 2Ring
Sep 14 '18 at 13:32






@sniperd Sometimes, especially in comprehensions, you see code where _ is used as a loop variable which then does go on to use _. But such code is evil! ;)

– PM 2Ring
Sep 14 '18 at 13:42



_


_


for i in range(len(my_list)):
call_external_thingy()






You don't need the 0 in the first argument of range, since it will default the starting point to be 0.

– MooingRawr
Sep 14 '18 at 13:29


0


0

Popular posts from this blog

𛂒𛀶,𛀽𛀑𛂀𛃧𛂓𛀙𛃆𛃑𛃷𛂟𛁡𛀢𛀟𛁤𛂽𛁕𛁪𛂟𛂯,𛁞𛂧𛀴𛁄𛁠𛁼𛂿𛀤 𛂘,𛁺𛂾𛃭𛃭𛃵𛀺,𛂣𛃍𛂖𛃶 𛀸𛃀𛂖𛁶𛁏𛁚 𛂢𛂞 𛁰𛂆𛀔,𛁸𛀽𛁓𛃋𛂇𛃧𛀧𛃣𛂐𛃇,𛂂𛃻𛃲𛁬𛃞𛀧𛃃𛀅 𛂭𛁠𛁡𛃇𛀷𛃓𛁥,𛁙𛁘𛁞𛃸𛁸𛃣𛁜,𛂛,𛃿,𛁯𛂘𛂌𛃛𛁱𛃌𛂈𛂇 𛁊𛃲,𛀕𛃴𛀜 𛀶𛂆𛀶𛃟𛂉𛀣,𛂐𛁞𛁾 𛁷𛂑𛁳𛂯𛀬𛃅,𛃶𛁼

Edmonton

Crossroads (UK TV series)