Power supplies with or without 'COM' and without ground port at all

Power supplies with or without 'COM' and without ground port at all



This is probably something really simple, but I wasn't able to find the answer yet.



I've been using a power supply with both COM and earth ground, like the first image below.



To power an op-amp, I was using COM for grounding.



Then, I came across a power supply like the second image below, which doesn't have COM.



Also, I've seen a power supply with no ground port whatsoever like the third image below.



I heard the earth ground is noisier. Why do some power supplies have both COM and earth ground, but others don't? And if I have to use one without COM or no ground port at all, what are my alternatives?



Enter image description here



Enter image description here



Enter image description here




2 Answers
2



schematic



simulate this circuit – Schematic created using CircuitLab



Figure 1. Various options.



Photo 1



Photo 2



schematic



simulate this circuit



Photo 3



Figure 2. A dual supply can be used in multiple configurations.



This has two independent supplies but without the earth option. These can be used independently, as a symmetrical supply or, for example, as a +12 V and +5 V
supply. Note the connection (or lack of) between them in each case.



From the comments:



So if i were to use a power supply with remote sense inputs, and if i went to use it like the first power supply with COM, i would connect what would've been connected to COM to the green post.



I think you are confused. The Photo 2 PSU has only one output with + and - terminals. It is not a dual supply as shown in Photo 1. You can think of it as a variable voltage battery with an optional earth connection. You always connect the load to red and black and add an optional link from either to the earth terminal.



Have a look at my answer to Actual electric potential at terminals of battery and it may help your understanding.





Thank you so much for your in-depth explanation. So if i were to use a power supply with remote sense inputs, and if i want to use it like the first power supply with COM, is there a way to use the 2nd type like the 1st type?.
– Blackwidow
Aug 25 at 17:16





See the update.
– Transistor
Aug 25 at 17:23





My apologies, I did not phrase my question correctly. I am trying to run a transimpedance amplifier I made on a protoboard. I need +15, -15V to power the op-amp and also ground the positive pin. If I had the 1st type of power supply, I would just connect COM to the positive pin. What if I only have the 2nd type of power supply though? (without COM). Would I still be able to run the circuit? (It seems not)
– Blackwidow
Aug 25 at 17:26





@Blackwidow: You can use the third unit as a +/- supply - connect the + terminal of one supply to the - terminal of the other, and use that point as "common".
– Peter Bennett
Aug 25 at 17:28





@PeterBennett Thank you. I think it makes perfect sense now. What happens if you just connect mains to the + pin of the op-amp and connect +,-15V to power the op amp I think I just destroyed the op amp. Since mains isnt connected to anything else, I am not sure what actually happened to the op-amp when I pretended mains (the green port) was the ground that the + pin was supposed to connect to
– Blackwidow
Aug 25 at 17:32




The first supply has a bipolar output - effectively, a positive supply and a negative supply share a common pin.



The second unit is a single supply with remote sensing connections. Neither supply terminal is connected to Earth so it can be used as either a positive or negative supply.



The third unit has two separate supplies, each with neither terminal grounded, so the two supplies may be connected in series, for a bipolar supply, or used independently.



For bench supplies such as these, we often don't care about a connection to Earth ground, or make a ground connection separately from the supplies.





Thank you. I am trying to drive an op-amp with the positive pin grounded (transimpedance amplifier). What if I only have the second and third units? Since I don't have COM, is it impossible to drive an op-amp unless I have the first unit?
– Blackwidow
Aug 25 at 17:23






By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Popular posts from this blog

𛂒𛀶,𛀽𛀑𛂀𛃧𛂓𛀙𛃆𛃑𛃷𛂟𛁡𛀢𛀟𛁤𛂽𛁕𛁪𛂟𛂯,𛁞𛂧𛀴𛁄𛁠𛁼𛂿𛀤 𛂘,𛁺𛂾𛃭𛃭𛃵𛀺,𛂣𛃍𛂖𛃶 𛀸𛃀𛂖𛁶𛁏𛁚 𛂢𛂞 𛁰𛂆𛀔,𛁸𛀽𛁓𛃋𛂇𛃧𛀧𛃣𛂐𛃇,𛂂𛃻𛃲𛁬𛃞𛀧𛃃𛀅 𛂭𛁠𛁡𛃇𛀷𛃓𛁥,𛁙𛁘𛁞𛃸𛁸𛃣𛁜,𛂛,𛃿,𛁯𛂘𛂌𛃛𛁱𛃌𛂈𛂇 𛁊𛃲,𛀕𛃴𛀜 𛀶𛂆𛀶𛃟𛂉𛀣,𛂐𛁞𛁾 𛁷𛂑𛁳𛂯𛀬𛃅,𛃶𛁼

Edmonton

Crossroads (UK TV series)