can I pass a custom property to NLOG and output to file?

can I pass a custom property to NLOG and output to file?



EDIT 4: "From" seems to be a reserved word in NLog. Changing it "FromID" worked. this is an awesome way to pass variables to NLog and still keep your code clean !!!! THANK MIKE!!!



EDIT 3. I really like this idea.:



Implemented a helper class as Mike suggested below:


public class NLogHelper
{
//
// Class Properties
//
private Logger m_logger;
private Dictionary<string, object> m_properties;


//
// Constructor
//
public NLogHelper(Logger logger)

m_logger = logger;
m_properties = new Dictionary<string, object>();


//
// Setting Logger properties per instancce
//
public void Set(string key, object value)

m_properties.Add(key, value);


//
// Loggers
//
public void Debug(string format, params object args)

m_logger.Debug()
.Message(format, args)
.Properties(m_properties)
.Write();



and in my main code, I have:


private NLogHelper m_logger;
public void Start()

m_logger = new NLogHelper(LogManager.GetCurrentClassLogger());
m_logger.Set("From", "QRT123"); // Class setting.
m_logger.Debug("Hello ");



And the target set in the config file as follows:


<target xsi:type="File"
name ="LogFile" fileName="C:QRTLogsQRTLog-$shortdate.log"
layout ="$date|$level|$event-properties:item=From|$message "/>



But the output has a BLANK in the place of the 'from' property ???



So I'm ALMOST THERE... but it does not seem to work??



EDIT 2:
I am now trying to create my own version of the NLog call:


private void Log_Debug (string Message)

LogEventInfo theEvent = new LogEventInfo(LogLevel.Debug, "What is this?", Message);
theEvent.Properties["EmployeeID"] = m_employeeID;
m_logger.Log(theEvent);



The issue is that I have to format the string for the calls (but a huge performance deal)... but this seems like a hack??



Ideally, I would declare properties in the custom layout renderer and instead of setting those properties in the configuration file, each instance of my class would have the property set... something like [ID = m_ID] for the whole class. This way whenever a NLog is called from that class, the ID property is set and NLog's custom layout renderer can use this property to output it. Am I making sense??


[ID = m_ID]



I'm new to NLog and have been looking at custom renderers.
Basically, my goal is to have my log statements be:
_logger.Debug ("My Name is 0", "Ed", ID=87);


_logger.Debug ("My Name is 0", "Ed", ID=87);



and I'd like my rendered to be something like:
layout = $ID $date $Level $Message


layout = $ID $date $Level $Message



That's it. $ID can have a default value of 0. fine. But ideally, I'd like every call to have the ability to specify an ID without needing to have 3 lines everytime I want to log.



I've seen custom renderers allowing me to customize what I output but i'm not sure how I can customize the properties I pass to it without



https://github.com/NLog/NLog/wiki/Extending%20NLog shows how I can add properties but I don't know how to call them.



Also, https://github.com/NLog/NLog/wiki/Event-Context-Layout-Renderer shows how I can set custom properties but that involved the creation of a LogEventInfo object every time I want to log something.



Nlog Custom layoutrenderer shows how to customize the output.. again... not how to customize the inputs.



This is for a Console app in C# targeting .NET 4.0 using VS2013



Thanks
-Ed




4 Answers
4



Event properties (used to be called event-context) would be the built-in way to do what you want. If you are using NLog 3.2+ you can use the fluent api, which may be a bit more appealing than creating LogEventInfo objects. You can access this api by by using the namespace NLog.Fluent.


LogEventInfo


NLog.Fluent



Your layout would then be defined like this:


$event-properties:item=ID $date $Level $Message



Then using the fluent api, log like this:


_logger.Debug()
.Message("My name is 0", "Ed")
.Property("ID", 87)
.Write();



Other than setting properties per event as above, the only other option would be to set properties per thread using MDC or MDLS.



NLog dosen't have a way (that I have found) of setting per-logger properties. Internally, NLog caches Logger instances by logger name, but does not guarantee that the same instance of Logger will always be returned for a given logger name. So for example if you call LogManager.GetCurrentClassLogger() in the constructor of your class, most of the time you will get back the same instance of Logger for all instances of your class. In which case, you would not be able to have separate values on your logger, per instance of your class.


Logger


Logger


LogManager.GetCurrentClassLogger()



Perhaps you could create a logging helper class that you can instantiate in your class. The helper class can be initialized with per-instance property values to be logged with every message. The helper class would also provide convenience methods to log messages as above, but with one line of code. Something like this:


// Example of a class that needs to use logging
public class MyClass

private LoggerHelper _logger;

public MyClass(int id)

_logger = new LoggerHelper(LogManager.GetCurrentClassLogger());

// Per-instance values
_logger.Set("ID", id);


public void DoStuff()

_logger.Debug("My name is 0", "Ed");




// Example of a "stateful" logger
public class LoggerHelper

private Logger _logger;
private Dictionary<string, object> _properties;


public LoggerHelper(Logger logger)

_logger = logger;
_properties = new Dictionary<string, object>();


public void Set(string key, object value)

_properties.Add(key, value);


public void Debug(string format, params object args)

_logger.Debug()
.Message(format, args)
.Properties(_properties)
.Write();




This would work with the same layout as above.





thank you ! I will try implementing the helper so I can keep my code readable. do you think this will impact performance? Because of all the calls to a helper class?
– Ed Landau
Oct 1 '15 at 13:28





Hi Mike: I implemented your suggestion but it does not seem to work? I get a blank in the spot I'd expect the new property. I've provided my code above in "EDIT 3". i made sure I spelled the property correctly... 'not sure what's going on here. No compile issued etc.
– Ed Landau
Oct 1 '15 at 15:27





Got it to work. "From" seems to be a reserved word. I changed it to FromID and it worked!
– Ed Landau
Oct 1 '15 at 15:31





There wouldn't be a noticeable decrease in performance from using a helper class in this way. However, there is a potential for some different performance characteristics in using NLog's fluent API vs. the standard API.
– Mike Hixson
Oct 2 '15 at 3:30





The example above DOES use the fluent API (or at least, that's the only way I got the syntax above to work).
– Ed Landau
Oct 3 '15 at 14:36



Use MDLC Layout Renderer



MappedDiagnosticsLogicalContext.Set("PropertyName", "PropertyValue");
MappedDiagnosticsLogicalContext.Set("PropertyName2",
"AnotherPropertyValue");



In your nlog config:



$mdlc:item=PropertyName $mdlc:item=PropertyName2



https://github.com/NLog/NLog/wiki/MDLC-Layout-Renderer



NLog 4.5 supports structured logging using message templates:


logger.Info("Logon by user from ip_address", "Kenny", "127.0.0.1");



See also https://github.com/NLog/NLog/wiki/How-to-use-structured-logging



This is propably not the best way to do this and not even thread safe but a quick and dirty solution: You could use Environment variables:


Environment.SetEnvironmentVariable("NLogOptionID", "87");
logger.Debug("My Name id Ed");
Environment.SetEnvironmentVariable("NLogOptionID", null);



In your layout, you can use environment variables.


$environment:variable=NLogOptionID





Wow. Interesting. I love the idea because I can set the Env Variable once. Right now, I was working with a LogEventInfo (I edited the question above to add this)... but this is very messy... I do need thread-safe though...
– Ed Landau
Sep 30 '15 at 18:40






By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Popular posts from this blog

𛂒𛀶,𛀽𛀑𛂀𛃧𛂓𛀙𛃆𛃑𛃷𛂟𛁡𛀢𛀟𛁤𛂽𛁕𛁪𛂟𛂯,𛁞𛂧𛀴𛁄𛁠𛁼𛂿𛀤 𛂘,𛁺𛂾𛃭𛃭𛃵𛀺,𛂣𛃍𛂖𛃶 𛀸𛃀𛂖𛁶𛁏𛁚 𛂢𛂞 𛁰𛂆𛀔,𛁸𛀽𛁓𛃋𛂇𛃧𛀧𛃣𛂐𛃇,𛂂𛃻𛃲𛁬𛃞𛀧𛃃𛀅 𛂭𛁠𛁡𛃇𛀷𛃓𛁥,𛁙𛁘𛁞𛃸𛁸𛃣𛁜,𛂛,𛃿,𛁯𛂘𛂌𛃛𛁱𛃌𛂈𛂇 𛁊𛃲,𛀕𛃴𛀜 𛀶𛂆𛀶𛃟𛂉𛀣,𛂐𛁞𛁾 𛁷𛂑𛁳𛂯𛀬𛃅,𛃶𛁼

Edmonton

Crossroads (UK TV series)