Access Application State from outside a Page

Access Application State from outside a Page



I'm trying to access the Application State from a utility class in the web application but I'm not sure of the best way to do it. I looked for a static member but there is none of use (I was thinking somewhere along the lines of HttpContext.Current).



The best solution I found so far is to have a member in the utility class that will be initialized in Application_Start event of the Global.asax.cs (I can get it from this.Application there) but would there be any risk of "something" happening to that reference (I don't care about the application being restarted as I'm only looking for a cache functionality)?




4 Answers
4



I think I got it!


HttpContext.Current.Application





It works man, cheers.
– TheGateKeeper
Nov 20 '12 at 19:02





Works for me too. Thanks. @CyberDude: please consider making this the accepted response.
– Chris
Mar 14 '13 at 16:02






Just double "p" in "Application:) It doesn't allow me to edit the answer just adding one character.
– Daniil Veriga
Mar 16 at 10:29





Fixed! Interesting how 1500 people never caught that...
– CyberDude
Mar 22 at 19:39



There is no way to access Application state from outside the HTTTPContext by design. Using Application_Start is the preferred way to initialize "global" values. You can also use the Cache class for the same purpose. Cache offers member expiration features that can be useful for data that changes due to events such as a file or database value changing.


Cache


Cache





Yes, Cache has more functionality, I might use it instead.
– CyberDude
Sep 2 '10 at 18:09



Try


System.Web.HttpRuntime



You can simply create a static class member:


public class MyGlobalCache

public static string SomeValueget;set;



This gets stored at the application level, which means that you get the same functionality of the Application state. The static member will be available across all layers (webpages and non-webpages).






By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Popular posts from this blog

𛂒𛀶,𛀽𛀑𛂀𛃧𛂓𛀙𛃆𛃑𛃷𛂟𛁡𛀢𛀟𛁤𛂽𛁕𛁪𛂟𛂯,𛁞𛂧𛀴𛁄𛁠𛁼𛂿𛀤 𛂘,𛁺𛂾𛃭𛃭𛃵𛀺,𛂣𛃍𛂖𛃶 𛀸𛃀𛂖𛁶𛁏𛁚 𛂢𛂞 𛁰𛂆𛀔,𛁸𛀽𛁓𛃋𛂇𛃧𛀧𛃣𛂐𛃇,𛂂𛃻𛃲𛁬𛃞𛀧𛃃𛀅 𛂭𛁠𛁡𛃇𛀷𛃓𛁥,𛁙𛁘𛁞𛃸𛁸𛃣𛁜,𛂛,𛃿,𛁯𛂘𛂌𛃛𛁱𛃌𛂈𛂇 𛁊𛃲,𛀕𛃴𛀜 𛀶𛂆𛀶𛃟𛂉𛀣,𛂐𛁞𛁾 𛁷𛂑𛁳𛂯𛀬𛃅,𛃶𛁼

Edmonton

Crossroads (UK TV series)